Once upon a time, what seems to be a long, long time ago, I used to have an overabundance of energy. I used to disappear to the coast with my best friend at three in the morning and still get to class at 7 the next day. I used to balance school, work, and a social life.
Now? It takes everything I have just to switch from my couch to my bed at night. (The last few nights, the couch won the battle.)
So, today’s post is this: Eight Signs You Are Burned Out.
- You are not taking care of your basic needs. Are you remembering to eat three meals a day? Are you drinking water? Are you showering? Are you socializing in any form? Let me be honest with you. I’m down to one meal a day, two if I remember to pack a lunch for work. I don’t think I’ve drank plain old water in over a month. And I finally remembered to shower two days ago. (I need to take one tonight.)
- You’re snoozing your alarm way too much. I have hit snooze so often that I had to drive my kids to schooie even forgotten to set an alarm. Yeah.
- Your to do list is overwhelming. Clean the house, fold my laundry, feed the kids, help the kids with homework, fold the boys’ clothes, buy groceries, go to work, pay the bills, cut the grass, make a garden… my to do list is never ending. Oh, and I almost forgot, I have to plan a birthday party in the next two weeks.
- Your life doesn’t motivate you. I have so much I need to do and I have little to no motivation to get it done. If it wasn’t for my calendar notification, I would have probably skipped writing a post tonight.
- You’re not having a break. It’s non-stop. Wake up, get the girls off to school, go to work, come home, make dinner, check homework, play with the kids, kiss the kids goodnight, fit in a shower, go to sleep. Rinse, repeat. I’m tired. So, so tired.
- You’re getting overly irritated by other people. I really don’t need to elaborate on this one. If you’re around me lately, you know that it’s true.
- You’re living on autopilot. Wake up, do life stuff, sleep, repeat. Repeat again. And again. And… again.
- Your thoughts are negative. I can say that this one hasn’t hit me. I’ve been keeping my negative thoughts out of my head since I was 18 years old. I’m not about to let them in again now.
And there you have it. Eight signs that you’re burned out; that you need a mini vacation. Take some “me time” and practice some self-care. Let people around you know that you desperately need a break to reset your mind. Don’t keep pouring from an empty cup – practicing self-care is self-love.
Need a friend to reach out? Drop a comment below. I’ll gladly lend an ear.